What do I need to teach English in Asia?

By | November 27, 2015

Can I follow any program for foreign language teachers in order to teach English in South Korea, Japan, China or Thailand, as long as I get a hundred hours usually required to apply?

And is there anyone who’s an English teacher but who isn’t from an English speaking country? Does living in an English speaking country count (obviously this helps in learning a language the ‘native way’)?

Any other info is welcome.
Ian, I do have a degree & I understand I need to speak English like natives, too.

Download PDF

2 thoughts on “What do I need to teach English in Asia?


    For most jobs you’ll need a degree (which you have) and a TEFL certificate. The degree can be in almost any subject and the TEFL/TESOL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see http://www.icaltefl.com).

    To work in South Korea you need to be from one of the main 7 English speaking countries and your degree needs to be from there also. The same often applies in Japan. As for China since they have a huge demand for teachers they will sometimes take a non-native speaker to teach English (obviously as long as their English is good enough). You will probably have to show some qualification regarding your Englsh ability.

    Good luck though – more non-native teachers are finding work and the prejudice against them is dropping in many places.

Comments are closed.