What are the risks of doing this?

By | August 7, 2015

I received my degree from Ashford University 2009-2011. Now I want to continue with my bachelors. Except my college (Ashford University) lost their accreditation in 4 states which includes mine.
This is the ONLY university that offers my field of study for online (Applied Linguistics) and I cannot take campus classes.

The adviser hinted but didnt come out with it, that I should apply with an address that is from one of the states that they are still accredited in.
Now if I say I live in Michigan when I live in Pennsylvania is there any risks when obtaining my degree?
The 4 states that Ashford lost its accreditation in is Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

What are the risks? Suggestions? Should I do it?

Download PDF

3 thoughts on “What are the risks of doing this?

  1. ownpool

    Universities are approved by states for specific purposes such as professional licensing of their graduates or doing business in the state. They are not accredited by states.

    Ashford is not selling (and I mean selling, not offering) classes in your state. I do not see any problem in using an out of state address in order to take the classes, but the degree may be worthless for practical purposes in your state.

    I also do not know what use an undergraduate (or any) degree in applied linguistics (or any field) from Ashford would be to anyone. It is a profit making business with very low academic standards which is why its degrees are seldom respected. That Ashford is apparently under some restrictions in four states or wants to avoid being regulated by them should tell you something important.

  2. George

    First let me say that your adviser at Ashford either did not know enough about transfer 0f credits or he/she was forced by his employer to advise that you go to another state where Ashford will maintain its programs for a short while.

    Now, second, I say that your difficulties with holding a degree from Ashford will multiply because the online programs will continue to have problems until they are all cleaned up of the same practices and procedures that you are now experiencing.

    There are several suggestions that I have for you in this situation, but I am only going to give you the solution that is the best one. The one that will keep you out of trouble of any sort is this. Go to a community college and take a general studies program with accredited college courses for about two years. Be sure that the degree from the community college will be accepted for transfer to a four-year college or a university nearby to your home in Ohio. Your degrees should be with a major in English. Then after you have graduated from the community college in Ohio, you may apply and be enrolled as a student who will complete his program right through until you graduate at the four-year college. Then your degree will come from a traditional and regionally accredited college with a diploma in English. Your degree in English will be your legitimate reason to work or to teach in other states if you choose to do that in English or in Applied Linguistics. Good luck.

Comments are closed.