I am considering teaching English abroad but do not know how to get started.?

By | October 19, 2015

I have a bachelor’s degree as well as teaching certification and am wanting to teach abroad in Italy. There are so many programs, how do I even begin the process? What are some good programs to use, preferably with job placement and good accommodations?

Download PDF

3 thoughts on “I am considering teaching English abroad but do not know how to get started.?

  1. Andrew Dunkle

    One important step is to start contacting schools and start the interview process. They will be asking you plenty of questions about your background, but don’t forget to ask them questions as well.

    How many hours will I be working a week?
    What kind of teaching materials are available?
    Do I have to write my own lesson plans?
    Where will I live?
    What will my salary be?

    Those are just a few questions to get you started. The important thing is to come up with a list of concerns that you want to make sure the school addresses adequately. This is a big step, living abroad, and you don’t want to arrive into a bad situation.

    You should also try and contact teachers at the school and ask them directly what they think of the school. I would be wary of any school that refused to give out their teachers contact information.

    If you are still looking for opportunities to teach in Italy, check out this site: http://www.goteachabroad.com/teach-in-italy

    Good luck!

  2. ICAL

    First off, you have the degree which is good. You’ll also need a TEFL Certificate (not a regular teaching certification but a specialised one for TEFL). The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see http://icalweb.com).

    Next, is where to go. You mention Italy but remember that in order to be able to teach in Europe you need to have a passport from a European state for visa purposes. It’s not impossible to find work in Europe if you’re American or Canadian, etc, but it’s very hard indeed and unlikely unless you’re well qualified and experienced.

    [NB in response to the following answer, you will need the passport in order to get the visa!]

    However, there are plenty of other places you can go outside of Europe!

    Finally there’s the process of finding work. Most jobs are found advertised online and don’t use an agency or program. This is the place to start. (By the way, if you do use an agent then NEVER pay anyone to find you work!)

  3. Dessau11

    In response to the previous answer, you do not need a European passport; you need to be issued a work visa

Comments are closed.