emigrating to the US from the UK…?

By | August 23, 2015

im toying with the idea of going to live in america, maybe in a couple of years when i have more work experience.im a fan of all things american and have wanted to go since childhood but i know green cards are phenominally hard to get and the global recession has hit there just as hard as it has here.does anybody have any info on what i should do to go live there,should i apply for jobs in the US online in advance and see if they will accept me from there or is that not possible as many say that a 2 year passport is required or something similar.let me tell you a little bit about myself:
-im currently on my final year of BA at university studying international tourism management and i also have a foundation degree in sport and adventure management although id rather work in tourism
-iv got previous work experience in bars,cafes,kitchens,a hotel a garden centre and a charity organisation but these were all short term jobs
-im soon due to depart on a volunteering holiday in thailand teaching english if that experience will be of any use.
-i have no criminal convictions
-i have friends in america but no family or relatives
-im a 21 year old british citizen

what would be the best way to approach going to live in the US,ideally to work within leisure and tourism and which states are the favoured as good places to go in terms of lifestyle, weather and employment opportunities?ideally id like to live on one of the coasts or somewhere pretty well populated…any info would be great thanks (and no trolls!)
minnow-thanks for your feedback,the hotel idea is definitely an option as we have many chains here operating in the US but as you said, that would take a very long time. my general plan at the moment is to finish uni, travel and get work experience before deciding to settle down,in this time i plan to go on holiday to america, just to see how much i like it as iv not been since childhood where i can get the chance to make friends there maybe more.studying postgraduate is an option iv considered but maybe in a couple of years, at the moment i just want to get out of the classroom and live life a bit first, plus it is very expensive as you mentioned earlier, even to study at home in britain.
trophy wife haha thats cool but i dont want to resort to that just yet as i wouldnt want to burden an american girlfriend with the stresses and paperwork of my immigration plus it would go to pot if me and her split up, but if i do find an american girl that i love who is willing to do that for me th

Download PDF

3 thoughts on “emigrating to the US from the UK…?

  1. Minnow


    First off yes, it is very difficult to move to the US permanently. We have a very strict immigration system, but this does not mean that moving here is impossible, only very difficult.

    Your first goal is to finish your degree and get some work experience. Very few recent grads can snag a work permit in the US, especially when so many young Americans can’t find work when they come out of university. I suggest working for a US company that has operations in the UK, or working for a UK company that you know works in the US as well. This could mean that after several years of working in this company you can apply for a transfer to the US. For your area of study I suggest looking into working for a multinational Hotel chain. If you climb up the management ladder you can always transfer to another country.

    Another possibility is to study for your graduate degree in the US. This, of course, isn’t permanent (and can be incredibly expensive) but you can make connections while in the US and if you finish a degree in the US you can work here for a year in your field after you graduate. If your employer likes you they can sometimes sponsor your visa.

    Another possibility is to marry an American. This, of course, is by chance and cannot be legally planned, but hang out by any university pub in the UK and you’ll find plenty of desperate American girls looking for a foreign trophy husband haha JK….but really…

    I’m an American and I got a work visa to the UK despite everyone telling me it’s not possible. No I’m not a dual nor am I married to an EU citizen. I got it through my own hard work and I am only 23 with a master’s degree, so it IS possible!

    Good Luck

  2. Uncle

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you – but even the employer has to make a good case for you – so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an “investor” i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.
    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this (www.wes.org) ..
    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  3. workingman

    You need to have skills i’n so short supply than an employer would pay to sponsor you. It’s almost impossible. Get phd i’n science and 15 years experience and it will still be really hard.

Comments are closed.